Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Our Front Yard

Distant Drums RV Resort
Camp Verde, AZ
April 15, 2015

Our front yard has been a flurry of feathers! I hung the hummingbird feeder and the oriole feeder the first day we arrived. It has been less than a week and already, we have a variety of birds entertaining us.


House Finch (female)
House Finch (male)
Lesser Goldfinch (male)
Lesser Goldfinch (female)
Lesser Goldfinches have no problem mixing in with other birds...both are scrounging for seeds.







I was able to zoom in and identify a small patch of purple bordering the black chin on the blurry picture of him below.


Black Chinned Hummingbird (male)
And the grand finale...one I have been waiting a long time to photograph...the Hooded Oriole. I have seen a pair and the male is sporting his breeding color.


The male's color is so brilliant. I actually saw him first when I was at the doggie park. He was sitting in the top of the pine tree in front of Belle.  

and the mama....



Mama enjoys a hearty breakfast of oranges and grape jelly...


...while dad keeps a watchful eye.




Happy Wednesday...hope your taxes are in the mail and all is good! Up next, the neighborhood! Until then, take care and...


Across the street...
...happy trails!

Oh, and just in case you need a smile on tax day...
Miss Daisy 
...this bundle of cuteness will do the trick!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! I was so excited to finally photograph one....

      Delete
  2. Beautiful oriole! The female sure is very different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get the camera in my hands fast enough Lisa! He is a beauty! And yes, the female is more slender and dull. She was the bravest though as she approached the feeder first!

      Delete
  3. You certainly do have the birds! I'm a bit jealous because there are not many here. Miss Daisy is a little doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying getting to know Miss Daisy!
      I am so pleasantly surprised at the birds we have here. There have been lots of doves as well and a pretty grey bird I haven't gotten a picture of yet.

      Delete
  4. Gay, great bird shots. How fun to have so much bird activity in your yard. I am waiting for the Billocks to arrive, non as yet. Have fun! Miss Daisy you are a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a Bullocks as well Sheila.
      Happy birding!

      Delete
  5. I always love your beautiful birds and of course, Miss Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you George! The Hooded Oriole is quite handsome!

      Delete
  7. I am not a birder but I do appreciate that bright colorful birds. That male Hooded Oriole
    is so pretty. Event he female is pretty but sure looks different. Your photos are great, Gay! Nice quick camera work:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I don't really call myself a birder either. For me it's the challenge of photographing. They are so beautiful and quick. And I enjoy the fun and discovery of learning about them. It's the kindergarten teacher in me I think!

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, the Hooded Oriole is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed watching them...I can't keep the feeder full as they really enjoy the grape jelly!

      Delete
  9. Lovely birds and yes I would love to see a Hooded Oriole one day. I think you and I can hang out together and enjoy watching our feathered friends. They bring smiles and joy watching them.
    Ill make a note of where you are for next winter we will be in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the bird and flower pictures. Beautiful! (Julie)

    ReplyDelete